Come and watch one of the South West largest costume contests! See hilarious skits and elaborate costumes. Watch Kazha perform the halftime show. Masquerade Judges will be Junkers, Atelier Heidi, Courtney Leigh and AshenQueen. Masquerade craftsmanship judging for contestants will take place in room 443 on Sunday 11:30am to 2:00 pm and 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
Saboten Con 2021 Masquerade Rules
*Please read over the rules. The rules have been updated due to Covid-19
- The Saboten Con Masquerade is a costume and skit competition. Contestants may either perform a Walk-On or a Skit. 80% of costumes and props must be made by either the contestant wearing the costume or by other members of the contestant’s group. Contestants are now required to participate in Craftsmanship Judging. If your costume does not fall under these criteria and you want to do a skit you may want to enter the Skit Contest. For more information about the Skit Contest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Costumes related to Anime/Manga, Asian Origin Video Games and J-Rock are allowed to be entered in the competition. If your costume does not fall under these categories, please email the masquerade director at email@example.com to gain approval for your costume. If your costume does not get approval from the masquerade director for not being related to Anime/Manga, Asian Origin Video Games and J-Rock, you can be added to the masquerade’s waitlist. The waitlist will only be for costumes that do not fit into these categories. Once masquerade registration has closed, those on the waitlist will be contacted if there are any cancellations. If you have any questions about the costume that you want to enter, please email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contestants/groups may enter both the Skit Contest and the Masquerade as long as the contestants/groups perform a different entry and have different costumes for each competition.
- All Masquerade contestants must comply with Saboten Con’s Code of Conduct.
- The Masquerade will have a limit of 50 entries.
- Each person may only participate in one entry.
- Each entry may only appear on stage one time.
- Groups are limited to 10 members.
- Each contestant or group contact person must check in at the Cosplay Desk before the Masquerade. Times for the Cosplay Desk will be given at a later date.
- Contestants must report to Craftsmanship Judging on time. Times will be given at a later date.
- Contestants must report to the Masquerade Green Room on time. Times will be given at a later date.
- On line registration will close Friday, August 27th at Midnight.
- At Con registration will be available if entries are available.
Covid-19 Rules (subject to change)
- Masks- We will be following Saboten Con’s Covid Policy for mask guidelines. https://sabotencon.conmagick.com/posts?id=1t8d2tykrdwh287 However, you can remove your mask during your performance. You will need to hold onto your own mask during your performance. Please make sure you have a safe place to store your mask during your performance.
- Social Distancing- We will have a larger green room this year to allow for social distancing between groups. We will also practice social distancing while the contestants are lined up for the Masquerade.
- Personal Items- We will have security in the green room to watch your personal items while you are on stage or in the audience during the masquerade and half-time show. We will also have a holding area backstage to put any personal belongings that you do not want to leave behind in the green room (for example, badges).
- Masquerade Judging- Please show up for your Masquerade Judging time no more than 10 minutes before. We only want a certain number of groups lined up for Masquerade Judging due to social distancing.
- Reference and Progress Pictures- Reference and Progress pictures can be emailed to email@example.com by Friday, August 27th by Midnight. Please include your group name or nickname when you submit the reference and progress pictures.
- Dialogue/Music- It is highly suggested to submit your audio online at (https://bit.ly/3iwlqTy) by Monday, August 30th at Midnight.
- All Skit entries must be 3 minutes or less and all Walk-On entries must be 1 minute or less.
- Longer skits may enter the Skit Contest instead.
- There will be no microphones on stage for contestant use.
- All audio for the performance must be prerecorded.
- All performances must be PG-13.
- Any performances with stunts must receive approval from the Masquerade Director before the event.
- The use of open flame, flash powder, fireworks, lasers, smoke machines, etc. is prohibited.
- Any props used on stage must be able to be removed easily and must leave the stage in the same condition as it was before the prop was used.
- Interaction with the MC is prohibited.
- The Masquerade Director reserves the right to eliminate anyone from competition on the basis of taste, danger to the audience or other contestants or for any other reason deemed sufficient.
- Please provide a MC narration for your skit or walk on performance. If a narration is not provided, a generic narration will be provided for you and/or your group. Narrations are only for the description of the costumes, characters and performances. Narrations are not to be used for advertisements or any other type of descriptions that do not fall under your performances. If your narration does not fall under these guidelines, then a generic narration will be provided for you.
- Costumes related to Anime/Manga, Asian Origin Video Games and J-Rock are allowed to be entered in the competition.
- 80% of costumes and props must be made by either the contestant wearing the costume or by other members of the contestant’s group.
- Contestants are now required to participate in Craftsmanship Judging
- Purchased or Rental costumes are not permitted in Saboten Con’s Masquerade. If a contestant has a Purchased or Rental costume and is performing a skit, they may enter Saboten Con’s Skit Contest instead of the Masquerade.
- All Props must conform to Saboten Con’s Weapon’s Policy.
- Costumes that have previously won awards at other conventions are prohibited from entering Saboten Con’s Masquerade.
Costume Judging Guidelines
- Craftsmanship Judging will be in room 443 on the 4th floor.
- Please show up for your Masquerade Judging time no more than 10 minutes before.
- All costumes must attend Craftsmanship Judging.
- Costumes are not required to be worn during Craftsmanship Judging but it is highly encouraged.
- Reference pictures of costumes are highly recommended for Craftsmanship Judging.
- Progress pictures of costumes are highly recommended for Craftsmanship Judging.
Audio and Music Rules
- Music will not be provided for entries.
- All dialogue/music must be either submitted online at (https://bit.ly/3iwlqTy) by Monday, August 30th at Midnight or at the Cosplay Desk during check in before the Masquerade.
- All dialogue/music must be PG-13.
- Recordings that run over the 1 minute Walk-On time limit or the 3 minute Skit time limit will be cut short.
- Dialogue/music submitted at the convention must be submitted in an audio CD format or USB Flash drive.
- Dialogue/music must be the only track on the CD or USB Flash drive.
- CDs and USB Flash drives will not be returned to the contestants.
- Any contestant 12 years of age and under at the time of the masquerade may compete in the Youth Division. The Youth Division is divided into two subdivisions.
- Youth Self-Made- A Youth contestant who has constructed the majority of his/her own costume.
- Youth Adult-Made- A Youth contestant whose costume has mostly been constructed by an adult.
- Professional costumers may not enter in the Novice division.
- A contestant who has competed and won in any division other than Novice may not enter in the Novice division.
- A contestant who has won "Best in Show" or "Best Novice" at any masquerade competition may not enter in the Novice division.
- A contestant who has won three or more major awards in the Novice division at masquerade competitions will need to enter in the Journeyman division.
- Professional costumers may not enter in the Journeyman division.
- A contestant who has competed and won in the Master division at any masquerade competition may not enter in the Journeyman division.
- A contestant who has won "Best in Show" or "Best Journeyman" at any masquerade competition may not enter in the Journeyman division.
- A contestant who has won three or more major awards in the Journeyman division at any masquerade competition may not enter in the Journeyman division.
- Any contestant, except for Professional, may enter in the Master division.
- Any contestant may enter in the Professional division.
- A Professional is any contestant that makes 50% or more of their income through costume making or commissions.
- Contestants that have won at least 3 “Best in Shows” in the last year, will need to compete in the Professional Division.
- Contestants that enter the Professional Division are not eligible for “Best in Show”.
Awards will be presented for each division. There will be a “Best of” Award and “Best Craftsmanship” Award for each division, except the Professional Division, along with “Best of Show”. There will only be a “Best of” Award in the Professional Division. The “Best of” Awards will be based on the performance and craftsmanship of each contestant/group. The “Best Craftsmanship” Awards will be based on the craftsmanship of each contestant/group. If you only want to be judge on performance and not craftsmanship, please enter Saboten Con’s Skit Contest. For more information about the Skit Contest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. There will also be Judge’s Awards which will be based on whatever criteria the judges choose. Other awards may be added at a later time.
Any questions about Saboten Con’s Masquerade can be sent to email@example.com
Any questions about Saboten Con’s Skit Contest can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org