Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sewing

Sewing 4 months 4 days ago #2307

I think the best thing to keep in mind when starting out is to keep it simple. My mom used to teach sewing and she taught first with a pillow case, then moved on to garments by teaching how to sew pajama pants and then a top.

Unfortunately, cosplaying is a lot more modifying than you'd even dream of. It's tough work when you're new to sewing and learning patterns to learn to draft and modify on top of it. Start simple and you will thank yourself later if you choose something that involved little to no modifications to start out with. I've been sewing and cosplaying for ten years and even I have a hard time drafting and modifying patterns still.

Use a pattern and follow the directions. I suggest McCalls or Simplicity, as Butterick's directions get confusing at times and Vogue-- Just don't even think about using vogue until you really know what you're doing. That said, keep a watch on pattern sales, pick up a flyer or for JoAnns and check one out weekly on line. At least once a month you'll find patterns for .99, $1.99 or 5 for five (or something similar to that). Pick out what you want ahead of time because the pattern you want might not be on sale when you go to the store and always have a back-up just in case they don't have your size in the one you want. Also measure yourself ahead of time, don't just guess you're a size eight because you might not be a size eight by the pattern standards and that just means more modifying your final garment.

For fabric, get on the mailing list for JoAnns asap, they send out coupons multiple times a week. They have a phone app as well, which is great if you're like me and make multiple trips just for the chance to save money ;) When choosing your fabric, pick something easy to work on. Cotton and twill (not stretch twill!) are the most forgiving fabrics for beginners. Be mindful of what you're choosing, test the drape before hand. Don't be afraid to touch all over it, stretch it, hold it up the the light, drape it across your body or crinkle it with your fingers to test if it's going to wrinkle. Keep in mind, you want something that's going to hold up a long day of wear. I'd pick this out of ahead of time as well, see if there's any deals, if not bring one of your handy dandy 40% or 50% of coupons. Fabric is EXPENSIVE and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds